Monday, July 15, 2013

April 2013

Her hair is FINALLY long enough for pigtails!! Happy day!
One of my Christmas presents was a cooking class at our local Whole Foods, which happens to be the flagship store, corporate offices, and huge. I'm not necessarily a big Whole Foods fan, but this place is impressive. And it has a playground on the roof! Anyway, they host cooking classes, and we went to Korean Cooking 101. It was a blast! We made our own gimchee, vegetable pancakes, marinated short-ribs, yam noodle stir-fry, and porkbelly-gimchee stew.  Merry Christmas to me! (I know I took a picture of us at the class, but I can't find it anywhere!)


One of the lovely things about the kids getting older is establishing or renewing family traditions. For Easter, Josh and I had a great time coloring eggs and putting random Easter bunnies and eggs into his usual slew of drawings. He had so much fun coloring the eggs that we actually colored the same eggs about three times on consecutive days. We made sugar cookies together, which he then refused to eat. He told me they were yukky. His favorite part of the holiday was pretending to be the Easter bunny. He would take his basket of eggs from the assorted egg hunts he participated in before the actual holiday and hide the eggs around the house. Then he would go find them again. And then hide them again.


 For Easter, I decided to do a meal inspired by my time in Chile. I made traditional Chilean empanadas de pino, which have seasoned ground beef, hard-boiled eggs, raisins, and olives. I also made some more adventurous ones with roasted poblano peppers, butternut squash, and manchego cheese, with a delightful habanero cream sauce for dipping. Lovely!

This is how Scout entertains herself.

Josh cleaned house during the egg hunt on Easter morning. He was aided by the fact that once Scout discovered there was chocolate in her first eggs, she sat down happily on the deck and ate it for the rest of the time while Josh ran around finding the rest of the eggs. And then Josh hid all of his eggs and found them again. A couple times.

Not as motivated once she got her hands on some chocolate.

Then we had another egg hunt and dessert with the Ancers (including, of course, Josh's most favorite friend Mirabel).
Mario has been working a ton, but he's enjoying it. We couldn't have designed a job better suited to him. Except for the long hours, it's been a dream come true.
Saturday morning fun with Daddy!

No comments: